Mountain Area Regional Transit Authority
Class Title: Driver
Position Summary: Reports directly to dispatchers and supervisors; safely operates a variety of MARTA transit vehicles while transporting customers on Fixed Routes, Off-the-Mountain and Dial-A-Ride services.
- Safely operates buses and other vehicles in compliance with all state and federal laws and regulations.
- Provides excellent customer service by interacting tactfully and courteously with others.
- Correctly answers customers’ questions and inquiries regarding service, schedules, and fares.
- Collects appropriate fares; maintains an accurate ‘Driver Trip Sheet’ of passenger counts, mileage, and arrival/departure times.
- Assists any customers needing assistance to safely board/alight a vehicle.
- Announces all major cross streets, landmark locations and requested stops as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act and MARTA.
- Follows prescribed schedules, routes and detours as directed.
- Completes the prescribed daily vehicle inspection before driving the vehicle; reporting any defects/deficiencies on the ‘Daily Vehicle Report’.
- Reports to work on time, in required uniform and presentable professional appearance.
- Maintains a clean vehicle by removing trash, sweeping the vehicle out at the end of the day.
- Attends any required training sessions.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills:
- Skilled in defensively driving a 20 to 40 foot commercial vehicle in all weather conditions.
- Ability to perform the required duties of the driver position.
- Considerable knowledge of passenger safety applicable to public transportation.
- Ability to adhere to policy and procedures contained in the Drivers’ Handbook and Personnel Policy Manual.
- Ability to follow direction from dispatchers and/or supervisors.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing necessary reporting of incidents, accidents and vehicle defects.
- Knowledge and understanding of California Vehicle Code and regulations for Commercial Drivers.
- Must maintain a valid California Commercial Drivers License with all necessary endorsements and certifications.
- Must maintain a driving record which demonstrates adherence to safety principles, traffic laws and regulations.
- Must maintain a valid medical certificate meeting the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations physical qualifications for commercial drivers.
- Must maintain a valid Verification of Transit Training Certificate (VTT) issued by the State of California Department of Motor Vehicles.
- Driver positions are considered safety sensitive and are subject to U.S. D.O.T./Federal Transit Administration drug and alcohol testing requirements.
- No criminal conviction which may, in the sole judgment of the Authority, constitute a threat to property or the safety of others.
Required Education and Experience:
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Working environment includes working outdoors with indirect and direct exposure to inclement weather.
- Work entails extended sitting while driving and frequent standing, and/or walking and bending.
- Work sometimes entails standing, walking, bending, and occasional lifting of up to 50 pounds.
- Must occasionally attend meetings and training sessions.
- Must work varied days and hours, including weekends and some holidays.