Mountain Area Regional Transit Authority
Class Title: Mechanic
Under the direction of the Assistant General Manager, maintains vehicles and equipment in working order by performing routine maintenance and repair to gas- and diesel-powered bus fleet, support vehicles, and related tools and equipment in accordance with professional standards of vehicle repair.
- Routinely performs preventative, routine and complex repairs to ignition, fuel, transmission, air/hydraulic brakes, suspension, steering, and cooling systems of fleet vehicles.
- Troubleshoots vehicle mechanic problems and diagnosis needed repairs.
- Maintain accurate documentation of vehicle inspections, repairs and maintenance according to California Highway Patrol standards.
- Responds to road calls as necessary.
- Adjusts and installs engine components.
- Maintains a clean and organized work area and shop.
- Mounts and rotate tires, annually studs tires and as needed installs snow chains.
- Maintains an accurate daily log of work, which includes date and description of work completed.
- Maintains appearance of vehicles by cleaning interior/exterior as necessary.
- Maintain a supply of required tools.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills:
- Substantial knowledge of industrial safety, shop safety rules/procedures and regulations applicable to a bus maintenance facility.
- Considerable knowledge of electrical computer controls, diagnostic computers, and other tools used in the maintenance and repair of large vehicles.
- Ability to read and understand technical information found in vehicle repair manuals, service change bulletins, including parts and supply manuals.
- Skilled in repairs of heavy-line equipment.
- Ability to write and communicate orally.
- Ability to use shop equipment and tools, including oxy/acetylene and arc welding equipment.
- Ability to perform job functions in a safe, timely, and accurate manner.
- Ability to follow direction.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid California Class B Commercial Driver’s License and a driving record which demonstrates adherence to safety principles and traffic laws and regulations. Must obtain a valid California Class B Drivers Permit within 15 days of being placed in this position and must obtain a valid California Class B Commercial Driver’s License within 45 days of being placed in this position..
- Valid medical certificate: ability to meet the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations physical qualifications for commercial drivers.
- No criminal conviction which may, in the sole judgment of the Authority, constitute a threat to property or the safety of others.
- Must own basic tools set.
Required Education and Experience:
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent and a minimum of 5 years’ experience in maintaining large-vehicles, preferably buses.
- Working environment varies from usual shop working conditions to the outdoors and direct exposure to inclement weather. Work can entail frequent standing and/or walking and occasionally cleaning up bodily fluid spills.
- Must occasionally lift or move materials weighing up to 75 pounds.
- Must drive on occasion.
- Must travel on occasion to attend training meetings and between facilities.
- Must work varied hours and days.