Mountain Transit strives to improve mobility for seniors and persons with disabilities. The Transportation Reimbursement and Information Program (TRIP) provides an incentive for volunteer drivers (usually friends or neighbors) to assist eligible individuals who are unable to drive or access public transportation by providing necessary, escorted transportation. Participants receive funds to reimburse the volunteer driver and to offset the cost associated with providing transportation. TRIP is a self-directed, mileage reimbursement transportation service that complements public transportation. Volunteers such as friends and neighbors transport transit-dependent elderly, people with disabilities, and others to access medical and other services where no transit service exists
How does it work?
• If qualified, you must identify someone who is willing to be your driver. (You can have more than one driver.)
• You keep track of your trips and miles driven to transport you.
• At the end of the month, you submit your records.
• We reimburse you (as long as funding is available), and then you reimburse your driver(s). *
• You recruit volunteer drivers from people you know and trust
• Your trips can include multiple destinations
• You schedule your rides at times that are convenient for both you and your volunteer driver
• You and your volunteer driver can enjoy companionship
Am I qualified?
An eligibility determination committee will determine whether or not you are qualified. You may be qualified if you:
• Are disabled, frail, or unable to drive;
• Are unable to use other forms of transportation (such as buses); and
• Live in San Bernardino County’s rural, mountain, or desert communities (excluding Hesperia, Victorville, and Apple Valley)
*Reimbursement payments will be made through direct deposit; the reimbursement amount will be automatically deposited into your bank account. Paper checks will not be used. In order to receive reimbursement payments, you MUST provide a bank account number.
Alternative Payment Method: SOLE PayCard
For those who do not have a bank account, debit card, or credit card, learn more about the SOLE PayCard by downloading the PDF in English or in Spanish. With the SOLE PayCard, money is directly deposited on your card on the day of payment, and there is need to go to check cashing locations.
TRIP Contact Info
Have Questions? Need Answers?
We are happy to assist you through the process. We’re looking forward to your email or phone call.